Memory Hold The Door
The Honorable Charles A. Woods (1852–1925)
Charles A. Woods was an Associate Justice of the South Carolina Supreme Court from 1903 through 1913. He was an Associate Judge of the United States Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals from 1913 until his death in 1925.
He was educated at Wofford, earning his A.B. with honors, undertook the private study of law and practiced in Marion from 1876 to 1903.
He constantly strove to improve his literary style and facility of expression.
Judge Woods was anxious to aid aspiring lawyers by teaching and lecturing at the University of South Carolina Law School, without salary, and even considered moving to Columbia for this purpose. His interest and support were a great advantage to that institution.
In 1884, he married Miss Salley J. Wannamaker of Orangeburg and, after her death, Miss Catsie Spain of Darlington.
His guiding star, “To do justice, to love mercy and to walk humbly before his God.”