Memory Hold The Door
William Law Watkins (1910–1999)
Born in Anderson, Bill Law attended public schools in Anderson. He graduated from Wofford College and received his law degree from the University of Virginia in 1933 where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He commenced the practice of law in Anderson with his father, T. Frank Watkins and Samuel L. Prince, who later served as dean of this law school.
In 1942, he volunteered for military service and served in the Army, rising in rank from private to major while serving with the 24th Infantry Division in the liberation of the Philippine Islands.
Following the war, he returned to his firm, now known as Watkins, Vandiver, Kirven, Gable and Gray, which was started by his father in 1904.
He was active in the organizations of his profession. He served as President of the Anderson County Bar Association and on the Board of Governors of the South Carolina Bar. He was the first President of the South Carolina Bar Foundation.
In addition to his service to his country and his profession, he served his State as a member of the South Carolina General Assembly and a member of the South Carolina Probation Pardon and Parole Board. In his community, he served as President of his Rotary Club, the Anderson Chamber of Commerce, the Anderson County Hospital Association and the Anderson YMCA. He served on many corporate boards and cherished his involvement with charitable organizations in the Anderson community.
A devoted family many, Bill Law is survived by Frances, his wife of 62 years, and four daughters, Sally Marshall, Anna Hattaway, Betsy Kinghorn and Jane Mudd.
A lawyer, a community leader, a philanthropist, an author and a good man, William Law Watkins will be remembered by the example he set in his professional and in his personal life.