Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Purpose of pro bono opportunity
- To provide opportunities for law students to work on behalf of clients
- To provide skills development and enhancement opportunities for law students
- To create an awareness of the problems and rewards of being a tax preparer
- To prepare accurate tax returns for low income and elderly clients in SC
Requirements or qualifications
Law students must
- be in good academic standing
- complete and submit the Volunteer Enrollment Form
- have completed and passed the proper VITA Certification tests
- have an interest in providing accurate information to clients
- have an interest in either preparing tax returns or interviewing clients.
- must be willing to work as past of team.
Responsibilities of organizations:
The Pro Bono Program and The VITA coordinator must:
- agree to properly supervise the work of the law student
- provide clear and timely instructions
- provide updates and assist with problem solving
- provide feedback when possible.
Responsibilities of the students
The students must:
- communicate effectively and efficiently with clients
- complete tasks in a timely and competent manner
- seek assistance when needed
- perform duties professionally
- treat this volunteer opportunity as if it was a paying or for-credit position
- must keep up to date on tax preparation software and information
The following Core Skills may be associated with this particular volunteer opportunity. Not all tasks will contain all of these skills. See the complete Core Competencies & Skills Inventory for more details.
- Core Skill: Oral Communication and Listening Abilities
- Core Skill: General Research Skills
- Core Skill: Critical Reading Abilities
- Core Skill: Task Organization and Management
- Core Skills: Professionalism
This "Volunteer Opportunity Description" should help provide you with a general sense of this particular organization or project and how you would make an impact. If after fully considering your options you have decided you want to enroll or if you have additional questions go to one of these links, enter your information and submit.
The Pro Bono Program has an open door policy — come by anytime to talk.